Most of us had the misfortune of getting those pesky flabby bits of skin that hang from our arms. Their presence can make us feel uncomfortable when walking around in a sleeveless shirt. However, although arm fat and bingo wings can affect both men and women, they are more common in women due to the different hormonal structure.
Still, hormonal changes are not the only reason for the appearance of these buggers since a lack of exercise and a poor diet can also cause them.
After we reach thirty, fat tends to accumulate in the upper arm region a lot more than before. In addition to the slowing metabolism we’ve been cursed with, most of us tend to become physically inactive once we take a step into the fourth decade. These are the ideal conditions for the growth of arm fat. But luckily, these problems can be remedied with exercises.
Deltoids, biceps and triceps are the main arm muscles. Deltoids allow us to move our arms front and sideways. Biceps control all the bending in the elbow. However, the most important for our flappy wings therapy are the triceps.
These muscles are on the back of our arms, running from the lowest point of our posterior deltoids, all the way down to the elbows. These are the muscles we need to focus on in order to lose the bingo wings.
Here are some easy-to-do exercises we can do at home to get rid of arm fat.
- Place your hands and knees on the floor. Make sure your arms are directly under your shoulders.
- Tuck the elbows in, as close to your body as possible. Tighten your core and your glutes. Now lower your body down to the floor.
- Go back up to the starting position.
- Repeat 10-12 times.
This one is a bit more difficult and should ideally be done with some weights. However, if it’s too hard, we can always perform it without the weights.
- Stand up straight, legs shoulder width apart.
- Now pick up the weights with each hand and lift them sideways, away from your torso. You will look like you are doing a T pose.
- Start making small clockwise rotations with your arms. Do ten rotations, and then start making counterclockwise rotations.
- Lay down on your left side on the floor.
- Bend your knees slightly and place your right leg on top of your left leg.
- While your right hand is on the floor, put the left hand on your right shoulder.
- Use your right palm to lift your torso up until your right arm is fully extended.
- Now start bending the right arm until your entire body gets to the starting position.
- Perform 10-12 repetitions and then switch.
- Sit on the edge of a chair and plant your feet on the ground.
- Place your hands on the edges of the chair with your fingers pointing 90 degrees away from you.
- Move your feet away from the chair until you start to support your body with your hands only. As a result, your body will sink almost all the way to the ground.
- Now use your arms to move your body away from the ground while pushing into the chair seat.
- Make sure that your back is straight — this will give you the best results.
- Lay down on the ground and form a triangle with your hands, right under your chest area.
- Use your knees to support your weight on the floor while lifting your feet and shins in the air.
- Tighten your core and glutes while bending your elbows. As a result, your torso will start to go down.
- Just when it’s about to reach the ground, push up using your arms.
- Repeat 10-12 times.
Indeed, most of these exercises can become rather dull, but luckily for us, swimming can remove bingo wings too. Then again, most of us don’t have enough time to go swimming. But fear not because some everyday activities can help us get rid of arm fat.
It only takes about 20 minutes of walking before our bodies start to burn fat. This means that we have to walk for at least 10 minutes after that 20-minute mark.
Believe it or not, driving can also help us get rid of bingo wings. While we are stuck in traffic or waiting for the traffic light to turn green, we can extend our arms outwards and push down on the steering wheel for 10-20 seconds.
For the best results, make sure to stick to your workout regimen. Just because we got rid of the arm fat, it doesn’t mean we should stop exercising. They could easily show up again!